streams

streams

Monday, June 19, 2017

Counselor

“True wisdom and real power belong to God; from him we learn how to live, and also what to live for.” (Job 12:13 MSG)

Do you have at least one person who can speak truth and wisdom into your life? Can you accept instruction and correction from this person? Do you have a teachable spirit?

My high school guidance counselor was indifferent and incompetent. He didn’t seem to know much about me, nor did he care to find out. Being the eldest child in a first-generation, immigrant family, I was used to figuring things out on my own. Thus, it wasn’t until my mid-twenties that I discovered the value of having a mentor. Over the last two decades, I’ve  been blessed with several women who have filled this role. They walked with me through trials and held me accountable when I got off track. They didn’t attempt to be my counselors; instead, they pointed me to God. They taught me to listen to the Spirit within me, to pay attention to Divine intuition, and to develop discernment.

God is the source of true wisdom and real power,  from whom we learn how to live, and als0 what to live for. This knowledge is profoundly deep. It requires quietness, patience, and attentiveness. The Spirit of God guides unobtrusively. It takes a great deal of practice to become aware of His hovering presence, to differentiate His voice from the noise of our own egos, and to live in accordance to His directives.   

Holy Spirit, help me to sense Your presence, to hear and understand your instructions, to follow Your guidance, and to live according to Your purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment