streams

streams

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Job Descriptions

“Jesus answered, ‘My Kingdom is not an earthly kingdom. If it were, my followers would fight to keep me from being handed over to the Jewish leaders. But my Kingdom is not of this world.’”(John 18:36 NLT)

I had an appointment with a new doctor recently. She noticed that under my personal information,  my occupation was listed as ‘Housewife.’ She mentioned how much she disliked that term. “There has to be a better title for what you do,” she said.  I just smiled. I used to have a hard time with this word too, but now it doesn’t bother me as much. My identity is no longer wrapped up in a job description.

My vocation expands beyond the usual titles. While it’s true that I spend a great deal of my day dealing with home maintenance, taking care of my family, and volunteering--I am also absorbed in several covert enterprises.

If underworld mobsters can have cover jobs, so can those who serve the upper world.  Our secular titles are merely ‘fronts’  that allow us to serve a higher purpose.  We are not defined by our achievements, by the work we do, or by the labels we are assigned by society. These cultural identities are merely masks--temporal roles we play for a short time. We are called to be occupied with things beyond this realm. We are part of something bigger.  We are followers of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment