streams

streams

Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Source of Peace

“I’m leaving you well and whole. That’s my parting gift to you. Peace. I don’t leave you the way you’re used to being left—feeling abandoned, bereft. So don’t be upset. Don’t be distraught.” (1 John 14:27 MSG)

When life gets arduous and chaotic, I fantasize about getting away from everyone and everything that troubles me. I imagine that the only way to feel peaceful is to remove myself from commotion and hostility. Unfortunately, this calm that comes from external stability is transient. It’s just a matter of time before I feel stressed, rejected, deprived, and agitated.

I wish my mind could be like a thermos--unaffected by external circumstances. A thermos keeps hot things hot and cold things cold no matter what the outdoor temperature is. It has vacuum insulation. Without air, heat cannot be transferred in or out.

When anxiety surrounds us like air, our mind becomes vulnerable to stress. Christ does not promise us a life without adversity. He offers us peace that is untouched by external sources--wellness and wholeness even in the midst of trouble. In order to retain this peace, worry needs to be vacuumed out. When we hand over all our worries and concerns to God, we become insulated in trust. Then, as we deepen our experience with God, more and more grace and peace are poured into us. Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment