streams

streams

Friday, June 2, 2017

Invisible

“If we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.”(1 John 1:7 NLT)
Many women I know feel unheard, unnoticed, or irrelevant. It’s like we are covered by a cloak of invisibility. Are we responsible for making ourselves inconsequential? Are we choosing to stay hidden? Do we intentionally invalidate or diminish ourselves?
When I am depressed, overwhelmed, or upset, I feel like I just need to get away from people. There have been times in my life when all I wanted to do was hide in my house, close the curtains, and be by myself. I didn’t want to take a shower or change clothes. I didn’t even want to turn the lights on. I wanted to remain dirty and in the dark, because it fit my mood.
This desire for isolation and escape during crises is not uncommon, but it isn’t necessarily a healthy, long-term choice. When we close ourselves off, we tend to wallow in self-pity, insecurity, and shame. Then again, being indiscriminately open can also be harmful. We have to recognize our vulnerability and find a safe, supportive environment where we can be ourselves. This is not easy. It has to be cultivated and tended, preferably before a crisis hits, when we have time and energy to spare.
As long as we measure our worth by our own merit, we will continue to feel ashamed, yucky, and powerless. How we proceed is up to us. We can choose to be in the shadows, or we can walk in the light. We can isolate ourselves from everyone, or we can cultivate sincere relationships. We can settle for invisibility, or we can move forward with the One who made us worthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment