streams

streams

Friday, June 30, 2017

Staying Grounded

“As soon as Jesus heard the news, he left in a boat to a remote area to be alone.” (Matthew 14:13) NLT)

I have been really busy lately--lots of stuff going on. I feel scattered, unmoored from my soul. This is not the first time I’ve experienced this discomfort...this realization that things are not as they should be. I’ve noticed there are a few things that help me: gardening, doing a few loads of laundry, washing dishes, reading, and writing. These sorts of quiet, solitary activities make me feel grounded. 

When the business of living untethers us from the Spirit, it is time to take a break. We may need to eliminate distractions, retreat from the company of people, and have some private time with God. Jesus frequently withdrew from the crowds to be alone. He knew the importance of solitude, meditation, and prayer. Let us emulate Jesus by pulling back from the world so that we can stay connected to the Father.

1 comment:

  1. You and I appear to handle stress be it minor or severe the same way. Retreating to be alone with ourselves taking care of things that calm us, naturally. I posted this on my FB page this morning about getting away from everything to stop and take a breath.

    ReplyDelete