streams

streams

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Waiting Time

“God intended that they would seek Him and perhaps reach out for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us.” (Acts 17:27 BSB)

I’ve always had purses that were big enough to carry a book. Anytime I had to wait for anything, I would pull out my book and start reading. These days, I just pull out my smartphone. I can occupy myself for hours checking messages, emails, social media, news websites, etc.

I noticed how much I craved distraction, and how uncomfortable I felt just looking around in public. Checking my phone or reading a book made me feel efficient and productive. On the contrary, not having something to focus on made me feel like my time was being wasted, even if it was just a few minutes waiting in line for the cashier at the grocery store. This desire for distraction and usefulness had become a barrier between me and God--which is the definition of sin.

Recently, I have been trying something different. When I have a few minutes to pause during the day, instead of reaching for my phone, I reach out to God. I pray. I look for Him in my surroundings, in the people around me. I pray. I listen carefully for His voice. I talk to Him about my concerns. I pray. This change has not been easy, but it has been rewarding. I am becoming more aware of myself, of others, and of God in our midst.



No comments:

Post a Comment