streams

streams

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Moving Walkways

“The slacker craves, yet has nothing, but the diligent is fully satisfied.” (Proverbs 13:4 HCSB)

Most major airports have moving walkways and escalators for passengers who do not want to walk or climb stairs. Until a few years ago, I always availed myself of the opportunity to use these conveniences. I didn’t see any reason to exert myself unnecessarily. These days, I have become one of those people who takes every chance to be physically active. My overall health has improved greatly because of this shift in attitude. I often overhear people say that they would like to be healthier, but not many want to change their lifestyle. They want the gain, but without much pain. 

Human souls crave to experience God, to breathe in the Spirit. Yet we are reluctant to exert ourselves. Corporate religion provides us with moving walkways and escalators of faith--a place to see and be seen by others, passive movement, all with minimal personal effort. Spiritual health requires more. It involves time, energy, persistence, concentration, and  discernment.  Godliness has to cultivated; it doesn’t just grow on its own. Enduring reverence and robust faith can only be produced by consistent, active, side-by-side participation with Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment