streams

streams

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Self-Examination

"Follow me and be my disciple," Jesus said to him. (Matthew 9:9 NLT)

Zumba, a dance based fitness program, can be a fun way to exercise. Many gyms offer group classes with energetic instructors and up-tempo music. The first few times I did Zumba, I thought I was following along pretty well. Then I did a class in a room that had wall-to-wall mirrors. My moves did not look like the instructor’s. My timing was usually a bit off and much less graceful. Without the mirrors, I was blissfully unaware. The mirrors made me self-conscious, but they also helped me improve.

Many Christians attempt to imitate Christ in their daily lives. We observe our Instructor and try to follow along. We imagine that we are doing a pretty good job, but careful self-examination reveals otherwise. Our timing is off, our movements incomplete, and our attitude ungraceful. This realization can lead us to modify our behavior and follow along better.  

“Imitate Christ in your loving spirits; speak kindly, act kindly, and do kindly, that men may say of you, “He has been with Jesus.” (C.H. Spurgeon)

No comments:

Post a Comment