streams

streams

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Soaking in the Presence

“Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.” (Psalm 51:5 NIV)

My running socks get really dirty. I have to soak them in hot water and soap to get all the dirt out. This is cumbersome. If I skip this step and wash them in the washing machine with the rest of my clothes, the white socks look dingy. Dark socks, on the other hand, don’t show the dirt. Thus, I pay less attention to laundering them.

Sin is like ground-in dirt that is enmeshed in every fiber of our being. It can remain concealed in darkness, but it becomes obvious in the light. Normal methods of purification leave us dingy. Soaking in God’s presence loosens up resentment, insecurities, anger, unforgiveness, apathy, fear, shame, and mistrust. Immersion in God allows us to be permeated by His holiness. This requires extra attention and time. We have to set ourselves apart from the rest. We have to quit being agitated and stop trying to control everything. We have to be still so that we can be saturated by His Spirit.
“God, create a pure heart in me, and renew a right attitude within me. Do not cast me from your presence; do not take your Holy Spirit from me.” (Psalm 51:10-11 ISV)


No comments:

Post a Comment