streams

streams

Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Trusting the Source

“You send rain on the mountains from your heavenly home, and you fill the earth with the fruit of your labor. You cause grass to grow for the livestock and plants for people to use.” (Psalm 104:13-14 NLT)

When my life feels full--all my loved ones healthy, safe, and happy, my days busy with meaningful activities, plenty of food in the fridge, an orderly home, money in savings, peace with my neighbors, and no crises on the horizon--I feel a sense of assurance and satisfaction. I crave this. I strive and hope for this. I pray for this.

God sends the rain and the light that fill the earth with plants which feed every other living thing. All our provisions come from Him. Yet, we often place our confidence in the fullness of our supply rather than on the Supplier. When our health fails, finances run dry, friends leave, and chaos reigns--we no longer feel at peace. We find out that our faith relies heavily on our circumstances going smoothly.  

We need to place our trust in the Source, not in the resources. Our circumstances will always be fluid--like a stream, sometimes overflowing and sometimes dry. Any sense of security or insecurity based on what we have or lack is illusory. God is the only constant. He is stable and dependable. Everything else is transitory. Thus, our faith, our confidence, our trust must be built on Christ alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment