streams

streams

Friday, November 22, 2013

Firewall

Most of us who use personal computers have encountered firewalls. Even if we don’t have a complete understanding of their function, we know firewalls protect our computers, somehow. Here is a technical description of what a firewall actually does:

“In computing, a firewall is a software or hardware-based network security system that controls the incoming and outgoing network traffic by analyzing the data packets and determining whether they should be allowed through or not, based on a rule set. A firewall establishes a barrier between a trusted, secure internal network and another network (e.g., the Internet) that is not assumed to be secure and trusted.” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewall_(computing) )

When I read the above description, I realized how much I need a firewall for my mind. Every day, I have incoming and outgoing thoughts (or data packets). Some of these ideas are useful, while others are harmful. I wish I had a firewall around my mind that analyzed these data packets and determined whether they should be allowed through or not.  

 “And I will be to her a wall of fire all around, declares the LORD, and I will be the glory in her midst.” (Zeph. 2:5 ESV)

God is our firewall protecting us from the Enemy. He is the trusted, secure, internal network. Just as firewalls protect computers from malicious attacks, God creates a barrier between our minds and the other network that is not secure or trustworthy.

There have been a few occasions when I have disabled my computer’s firewall--so as to install a new program--and then forgotten to turn the firewall back on afterwards. Similarly, I sometimes disable the spiritual firewall that God has provided and forget to turn it back on—thus allowing all sorts of malignant thoughts to enter my mind.

I need to check my firewalls--the one that protects my computer and the ONE that protects my mind.

2 comments:

  1. God was my Firewall today for me. He guided me to do my 21 Day Meditation Challenge with Oprah and Deepak and today's centering thought was "I believe. I trust. I let go." It was like a direct message from Him Himself.

    I had a very difficult meeting today with someone I did not want to see so I repeated these words to myself after my meditation all morning long since I had clearly upset myself with mind visuals of how this was going to go and harming myself by raising my blood pressure.

    I believed God would guide me. I trusted he would get me through this unscathed and much easier than my mind was conjuring up thoughts. I let it go and gave it up to be in His Hands. God was my Firewall and protected me and everything went easy and uneventful.

    I always read your work and it applies to my own life in such a unique way. I love reading your analogy.

    ReplyDelete