streams

streams

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

My Two Cents

“Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.” (The Lord’s Prayer)

Obviously, trespassing is sinful. I try really hard not to trespass on others, and I wish others would do the same. I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about ways to maintain healthy boundaries in relationships.

I imagine that I can convince people, with my logic, to do what I think is right and good. As I write these words out, I can see the flaws in my thinking. Yet, I have operated under this false illusion for most of my life, and it’s a bit difficult to change. And if I can’t change myself, even when I’m aware of a flaw, why do I think that I could persuade others through my words and logic?

I’m reminded of the idiom ‘adding my two cents’—which means giving my opinion, while acknowledging it has very little value. Well, I frequently add my two cents to God’s million dollar plan.

Often, my words just muddle the situation further. Every life is a canvas on which God paints His vision. Imagine a great artist painting a masterpiece, and his 4-year-old child scribbling on it with a crayon! This is probably equivalent to what I do when I attempt to embellish God’s plan.

“Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don’t try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he’s the one who will keep you on track. Don’t assume that you know it all.” (Prov. 3:5-12 MSG)

Lord, I pray that you will help me to trust you completely. Cure me of this bad habit of trying to add my two cents to your unlimited funds.

No comments:

Post a Comment