streams

streams

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Obedience Training

My dog went to obedience classes as a puppy. She is a smart dog and follows directions well, especially if they are followed by a reward. She will perform a variety of tricks for treats. However, she never learned to ‘heel’—walk properly by our side, especially outdoors. When she is outside, she has her own agenda and rarely pays attention to our instructions. The sights and smells overtake her senses, and she follows her instincts rather than our instructions. Even though she is on a leash, she will pull, tug, run ahead, or get sidetracked easily. We rarely let her off-leash, because she is likely to run off and get hit by a car or chase a rabbit into the woods and get lost. Our intelligent, obedient, loyal, well-trained dog acts like a senseless animal in certain environments. Basically, she obeys when she feels like it. When we are hiking, she always wants to lead. She gets really upset if any member of the family walks ahead of her. It’s as if she gets to decide which path we should take!  

“I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you. Do not be like a senseless horse or mule that needs a bit and bridle to keep it under control.” (Ps. 32 8-9 MSG)

I think I’m disciplined. Yet, I’m like a dog who hasn’t been trained to be off-leash. I might walk by God’s side for a few minutes, but then run off as soon as I see something interesting. Sometimes I act like I’m guiding God, rather than the other way around. How often I act like a senseless animal--following my own agenda, acting as if I get to choose the path, chasing after dangerous distractions, obeying only when it suits me!

Lord, train me to obey you and follow your instructions precisely and consistently. May I never defy You but always affirm You. Teach me discipline. Train me according to your purpose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment