streams

streams

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Smothering the Flame

No matter how close you are to Jesus, without the Holy Spirit, Jesus is still somebody outside you. He’s close beside you, but the Holy Spirit is inside you.” (Peter Kreeft) http://www.peterkreeft.com/topics/dynamite.htm

After I read the above quote, I wondered why the Spirit of God is oftentimes so weak inside me.

I thought of the candle snuffers that are still used in some Catholic churches for putting out candle flames after Mass. The flame is usually smothered by cutting off its oxygen supply. I wondered what was diverting oxygen and thus snuffing out the flame of the Holy Spirit within me?

Jesus describes the symptoms of those who suffer from this spiritual malady: They are “overwhelmed with worries about all the things they have to do and all the things they want to get. The stress strangles what they heard, and nothing comes of it.” (Mark 4:18-19 MSG)


The Holy Spirit flame is weakened and eventually smothered by worldly concerns and ego-centered delusions. There is only so much oxygen to go around—and I have a choice on which valve to open and which one to close. I can either divert most of my energy to worldly concerns or to fostering the Spirit within me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment