streams

streams

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Standing in The Gap

“In the book of Ezekiel God said, "I sought for a man among them who would make a wall, and stand in the gap before Me on behalf of the land, that I should not destroy it; but I found no one" (Ezekiel 22:30). The gap He is talking about is between God and man, and a person who stands in the gap is the one who prays. A gap was also a place in the protective wall around a field or a city that had been broken down and needed repair. Our prayers can help to repair the breech in that wall of protection. (The Power of Praying for your Adult Children, by Stormie Omartian)

The same day I read the above excerpt, a dear friend reminded me about the importance of ‘standing in the gap’ for others. When I come across an obscure phrase like this, twice in one day, I know it’s time to pay attention.

What and where are the gaps, the breeches in the protective wall that are broken down and need repair? Where can the enemy infiltrate?

As I look around my community, I notice lots of breeches--gaps in faith and trust, compulsive materialism, obsessive ambition, shaky marriages, unstable finances, sickness, addictions, depression…

Yes, I need to pray, to intercede, for those who are not able to pray for themselves. Yet, how can I stand in the gap and advocate for others when I myself am broken?

“Make this your common practice: Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you can live together whole and healed. The prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with.” (James 5:16 MSG)

As we admit our flaws to each other, we are able to identify with each other’s brokenness. We stand up for each other in intercessory prayer, repairing the breeches, reinforcing the walls with our faith in God, waiting expectantly to become whole and healed.

No comments:

Post a Comment