streams

streams

Monday, May 19, 2014

Goldfinch Lessons

Sparrows are ill-mannered, noisy, messy birds. They prefer to nest and feed in large groups. They fight constantly and peck each other while feeding. In previous years, the sparrows would take over our bird feeders and wouldn’t let any other birds eat from it. Then last year I made a sparrow deterrent out of coat hangers and fishing line. Since they can’t fly in and out in groups, the thuggish sparrows now leave my feeder alone. A few individual sparrows still visit the feeder, but the gangs have gone elsewhere. Now our feeder is visited by mild-mannered finches, cardinals, and evening grosbeaks. Out of all the birds at the feeder, the goldfinches are the most well-mannered birds. They courteously take turns at the feeder, eat neatly, and leave polite distances between each other. They hang out in pairs or small groups. These birds have a sunny disposition that makes me want to refill the feeder, which benefits all the other birds as well.

Here are some of the lessons I have learned from these goldfinches:
-There is usually more discord in larger groups than smaller ones.
-Giving each other personal space encourages peace.
-A cheerful disposition brings blessings to you, as well as everyone around you.
-Courtesy, politeness, and neatness are conducive to living in harmony.

I hope to internalize these goldfinch mannerisms. I have already learned that small groups are much easier to get along with than larger ones. I am still working on giving others around me plenty of personal space to breathe and grow on their own terms. I would like to be more positive and cheerful. I strive to be courteous and considerate of those around me. I attempt to keep my home neat and orderly. Although I still occasionally succumb to sparrow-like tendencies, I hope to someday be more like the well-mannered goldfinches.  

No comments:

Post a Comment