streams

streams

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Transplanted Lilacs

About a dozen years ago, I planted some lilacs by the north edge of our acreage. Even though they survived each winter, they stayed about the same size every year—just some twigs with a few leaves but no flowers. Last year, I transplanted the lilacs. I dug them up from where they had been and replanted them in a south-facing flower bed, next to the house. This year, for the first time, they have bloomed with fragrant, purple flowers.

St. Francis de Sales is known for the saying: “Bloom where you’re planted.” Basically, this means: ‘Try to do the best you can, no matter what your location or situation.’ Well, this sounds like a good idea…but it puts the onus of growth completely on the individual. I’m not saying we aren’t responsible for our own growth, yet I have a strong feeling that we shall not fully become who we are meant to be until we are planted next to God’s presence.

“Transplanted to God’s courtyard, they’ll grow tall in the presence of God, lithe and green, virile still in old age.” (Ps. 92:13-14 MSG)

Sometimes, I feel like I haven’t quite ‘bloomed’ yet. I’ve done all right; I’ve made the best of each situation thus far. Yet, I wonder if I have fully become all that I was created to be. Thus, I have asked God to transplant me closer to His presence:

Lord, dig me up from familiar, yet unfertile roles. Transplant me closer to You. Then, I shall thrive, grow, bloom, and be fragrant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment