streams

streams

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Storm Shelters

My relatives, who live in the southern United States, have very little protection against tornadoes. Although they live in tornado alley, their homes don’t have basements. I did some research on why basements are more prevalent in the north compared to the south, and the reasons are murky. Some of my relatives in Oklahoma have now built tiny storm shelters in or near their homes. I hear they are uncomfortable and cramped, so they only use these shelters if a tornado has been spotted in their area. My home in Iowa has a comfortable, finished basement. As soon as the weather alarm goes off, we try to gather up everybody and go down to the basement. Yet, most of our living space is above ground, so sometimes it’s difficult to convince my family to stop what they are doing and seek shelter in the basement. I have a friend who lives in a berm home. Most of her home is underground. Unlike us, she doesn’t even have to wake up at night to move to a safe place. She dwells in a safe shelter most of the time.

“Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. This I declare about the LORD: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him.”

The Bible tells us over and over again that God is our shelter, our safe place. Yet most of us prefer to dwell someplace other than in God. We might run to Him in an emergency, but it feels too cramped for daily use. How can we abide in God, find rest and shelter in Him all the time? 
Continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment