streams

streams

Thursday, October 1, 2015

My Rabbi

“She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic, "Rabboni!" (which means "Teacher".)” (John 20:16 NIV)

A rabbi is a Jewish scholar and teacher. But the term is used colloquially to mean an older, wiser person who fulfills the role of patron, mentor, and advisor to others. When I am anxious or confused, I tend to talk to my husband, my sister, or my friends. They rarely have solutions to my problems; mostly, they just listen. I wish I had a rabbi--someone who would counsel me, look out for me, and guide me.

“Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.” (1 Peter 5:7 NLT)

When I am talking to God, I am reluctant to bring up stuff that is bothering me. My earthly problems seem petty, and I feel like my prayers should be spiritual. I forget that the Lord is my master, my teacher, my rabbi. Instead of dumping my worries on fellow human beings, I  can unload them at God’s feet. When I am anxious, I can go to Him for peace. When I’m unsure of how to proceed, I can ask Him for advice.

Rabboni, today I am upset about a lot of things. All the suffering and injustice in this world is getting to me. I don’t know what to do. I’m laying it all out in front of you. Please guide my thoughts, my emotions, and my actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment