streams

streams

Monday, October 30, 2017

Inner Quiet

“I have composed and quieted my soul.” (Psalm 131:2)

It’s early morning and my house is still quiet. No music, no TV, no devices with their incessant dinging. In a few hours, everyone will be up, and my attention will be diverted by many things. Thus, I try to maximize this precious time--to focus. But even when there is very little external noise, the internal chatter continues to distract me. Most of the ruckus is superficial--diversionary prattle that enables me to avoid dealing with the real issues of my soul.

Cultivating a quiet spirit takes practice. External striving must cease in order to care for our inner souls. We must dig deep--not merely scratch the surface. The soil of our hearts must be tilled, clods of misbeliefs broken up, weeds of restlessness removed. Then the good seed of Truth can be planted. As the seedling emerges, it requires nourishment. Water it through prayer; fertilize it with trust; give it plenty of light and space to grow.

At first, the silence might feel unfamiliar. Confronting our inner messiness can be uncomfortable. But we are not alone in this process. The Master Gardener is working alongside us. He wants us to grow and be healthy--for our souls to flourish with peace and contentment. Yet, we have to play our part. We must cover our spirits with stillness, let go of our desire to be in control, and make space for God to do His work in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment