streams

streams

Friday, October 27, 2017

Quieter of the Storm

“When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and said to the waves, ‘Silence! Be still!’ Suddenly the wind stopped, and there was a great calm.” (Mark 4:39 NLT)

When my mind is agitated, I feel as if a storm is churning inside of me. Waves of emotion surge up, destroying my peace. All sorts of negative thoughts, fears, and worries threaten to drown me. My imagination whips itself into a frenzy of worst-case scenarios. My soul becomes restless and apprehensive. I try all sorts of coping mechanisms, but they rarely work.

Only Jesus can calm the storms in my head. He quiets the voices of confusion and chaos. He reminds me to be still and trust that He is in control. The Holy Spirit soothes me and settles me down. My breathing and heart rate slowly return to normal. My focus shifts from my troubles to God’s presence. The stormy circumstance may still be raging outside of me, but my heart is tranquil as I fix my eyes on Jesus, the Quieter of Storms.

“We experience God’s nearness, blessing, and help not when we are rehearsing our doubts and complaints, but when we are offering up our praises and thanksgiving.” (He’s Been Faithful, Carol Cymbala)

No comments:

Post a Comment