streams

streams

Friday, February 9, 2018

Protection and Trust

“Since God is in her midst, she will not be shaken. God will help her at the break of dawn.” (Psalm 46:5 ISV)

When I hear a tornado warning, I immediately seek shelter. If I’m away from home, I try to gauge the strength of the nearest structure. I remember one time I heard the sirens going off when I was inside a small store. I quickly assessed my surroundings. The building had a metal roof and no basement.  If the tornado hit, I would be in the path of a ton of flying debris. Since I didn’t feel secure, I was tempted to leave and seek something more sturdy.

God has promised to help and protect us. We will not be shaken as long as we remain under His safeguard. In order to determine if a structure is secure, we have to be familiar with it. Similarly, we cannot place our confidence in someone whom we do not know well. God’s promises of protection are contingent on trust, and trust requires intimacy.  Once we know God, we recognize Him in our midst. We realize that He is trustworthy and that His timing is perfect. Instead of relying on our own wits, we seek shelter under Him.

"Don't let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God.” (John 14:1 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment