streams

streams

Thursday, February 1, 2018

The Lord's Prayer

“Our Father in heaven, reveal who you are. Set the world right; do what’s best—as above, so below. Keep us alive with three square meals. Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others. Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil. You’re in charge! You can do anything you want! You’re ablaze in beauty!  Yes. Yes. Yes.” (Matthew 6:9-13 MSG)

I find myself using the Lord’s prayer several times a day. Mostly I go over it in my mind. Growing up Catholic, I memorized the words to this prayer as a kid and recited it without much thought. It was part of the Mass, the rosary, and bedtime prayers. By the time I reached adulthood, it had lost some of its impact due to overfamiliarity. That is, until one day, when I read the Message translation of this passage of scripture. This prompted me to meditate on each word and rewrite the prayer in my own words. Now, I can’t just whiz through it like I used to. Instead, I slow down and think about each sentence.

Father of all, reveal Yourself to us. Blessed be Your name. May Your influence come; may Your intentions be done. Provide for us daily. Forgive us and help us to forgive others. Protect us from all evil, internal and external. You are in control; You are powerful. You are glorious. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment