streams

streams

Friday, February 8, 2019

Inspirational Living

“Keep your eye on the healthy soul, scrutinize the straight life; there’s a future in strenuous wholeness.” (Psalm 37:37 MSG)

I used to belong to a women’s ministry affiliated with a church. There were Bible studies, retreats, social events, day trips, faith-based conferences, service opportunities, and fundraisers. All of these tasks filled up my calendar but drained my soul. I knew several of my friends thrived in this environment. However, I could sense that my spirit needed something different. Even though it felt selfish to do so, I gradually pulled away from these church-group activities.

Once I got out, I started noticing other women who operated on the outskirts of corporate religion. Like frontier women of old, they led lives of strenuous wholeness. There was no competition, gossip, or showing off. They focused on supporting and encouraging everyone they met. They spoke truth, even when it made them unpopular. They served without publicity. They were brave, kind, and generous at the same time. I was inspired by these healthy souls. I followed their example whenever I could. I learned how to minister to others outside the confines of church groups.

I watched how they dealt with hardships, pushback, and grief. I listened to their insights. They taught me that God was not out there, but within me. They showed me how to go deep--to hack through the weeds and brush that obscured the interior path. And now I pass on these lessons to others who arrive at the frontier, looking to forge their own way in the wilderness.

No comments:

Post a Comment