streams

streams

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Spark Joy

“I take joy in doing your will, my God. “ (Psalm 40:8 NLT)

Marie Kondo, the popular organizing consultant, has convinced thousands of people to get rid of things that don’t spark joy. Her methods of tidying up are radical. It involves taking every item you own, deciding whether or not it sparks joy, and discarding everything that does not meet this criterion.

I wonder if a similar method can be used to declutter my spiritual life. Lately I have noticed a gradual accumulation of my own wants. My intentions and ideas have a greater influence over my choices than God’s will. My desire to be in control of my life and my environment has caused this disorder.

I would like to submit my life to God’s will so that I can be cleansed and sanctified. What if I let God go through my wants and take out anything that does not spark joy for HIM? How would my life change? What thoughts, attitudes, and behavior would have to be discarded? What routines and relationships would remain? What new practices would have to be added? What would it take to maintain this radical transformation?

No comments:

Post a Comment