streams

streams

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Misplaced Messages

“You must give them my messages whether they listen or not.” (Ezekiel 2:7 NLT)

At the entrance of our rural neighborhood is a long row of old-fashioned mailboxes nailed to wooden posts. Our mailman often gets the mail mixed up. Almost every week, we get an envelope in our box that is addressed to one of our neighbors. This happens so often that most of us just sort through our mail while standing next to the row of mailboxes, so that we can put any misplaced mail in the correct boxes.

I can identify with our mailman. I, too, often get confused about the messages I am to deliver. I often have random thoughts that I sense may be significant. I wonder if this directive is solely for my own sake or meant to be shared. I am never sure to whom, when, or how to express what is placed in my heart. Unlike the mailman, I don’t have names and addresses printed on envelopes that I can use. Thus, I often repeat whatever pops into my mind to whomever I meet--in case it is meant for them. I speak it, write about it, and incorporate it into my day. Sometimes I hear back from someone that a certain message was relevant to them. This brings me great relief; I feel like I did something right. However, I must remember that it is not up to me whether a message is used. I only have to be willing to obey, even when it looks silly. I may not get every message to the right person at the right time, but I know that God will use others to sort through the messages and pass on what is misplaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment