streams

streams

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

The Village Inn Prophet

“For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God gives the Spirit without limit.” (John 3:34 NIV)

My husband and I were having a late breakfast at the Village Inn. We were seated in a section that was virtually empty other than one other diner and several servers who were cleaning tables and restocking condiments. The lone diner was an older black gentleman with a distinctive hairstyle; his grey hair stuck straight up. He seemed to be a regular customer, because the servers all knew him and carried on a conversation with him as he ate and they worked. My husband and I could overhear everything they said. They spoke about various subjects, but I noticed that in everything the man said, he gave glory to God. He continually spoke blessings upon the waiters, and that is why they hovered around him finding something to do. I was amazed by his boldness and devotion. As he finished his meal and gathered up his belongings, I couldn’t resist walking over and speaking to him. I told him how impressed I was at his transparent faith. He seemed surprised and momentarily flustered by my compliment. However, he quickly collected himself and looked me straight in the eye. Over the next few minutes he spoke and I listened. I don’t remember everything he said verbatim, but I could sense that there was truth and anointing behind his words. I recognized many verses from the third chapter of the Gospel of John:

‘God gives us the spirit without limit, so that we can speak Truth. We share what we have seen and heard, presenting our life as evidence. We stand beside Jesus, shining the spotlight on him. He must increase, while we decrease. We who practice living in truth come into God’s light, because we want others to know that God is really the one accomplishing everything through us. All glory and honor and praise to Almighty God.’

When he finished speaking, I asked the man his name. He replied: “Neither my name nor my title matters. I am your brother in Christ, and you are my sister in Christ.”

Then the man asked my husband’s permission before he gave me a hug and walked away--leaving the fragrance of Christ in his wake.

No comments:

Post a Comment