streams

streams

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Holding Loosely

The author, Philip Gulley, suggests that we hold divine revelations loosely--like a hummingbird in our hands.
“Our revelations should be cherished, but loosely held, as one might hold a fragile bird, taking care that in our desire to protect it, we do not squeeze the life and power from it. Ironically, it has been my experience that the more loosely we hold such things, the more open we become to the Divine Presence meeting us and others, and the more likely we are to experience these sacred visitations.” (The Evolution of Faith by Philip Gulley)
I have a tendency to be intense about everything I care about. This intensity allows me to be disciplined and organized. This trait can be useful in getting things accomplished but can also backfire in certain circumstances.
Before I had my own child, I was afraid of holding newborn babies. What if I held them too tightly and squeezed the air out of them? Or, if I held them too loosely and dropped them? I always sat down when I held a newborn just to be on the safe side.
My passion can sometimes cause me to smother people and grip them too tightly. I leave very little room for them to breathe and grow. I don’t leave space for God to work in their lives.
I also tend to hold on to my beliefs and insights too tightly. When you are making bread dough, if you knead it too much, it becomes stiff. If you knead it too little, it remains lumpy and won’t rise. Similarly, when I overwork a divine insight, it loses its elasticity. On the other hand, if I’m inattentive to the task, it falls flat.
I think it might be helpful if I could dial down my intensity level just a bit. I want to learn how to hold things loosely, to observe and learn from every situation without choking the Spirit out of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment