streams

streams

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Negative Emotions

Suffering can be transformative—but not always in a good way. Sometimes, suffering magnifies evil. It brings out the darker side of human nature that we usually keep repressed and well-hidden. Bitterness, anger, hopelessness, fear, self-pity, and other impurities rise up from deep within us. Like a volcano spewing lava and ash, we disseminate our misery, cursing and complaining, transforming ourselves and others by our despair.
Yet, what are we to do if these emotions are within us? Should we hold it in, pretending that we are too holy to experience such negative thoughts? Should we not vent our frustrations?
I think it is useful to express our feelings, even when they are negative. However, we must be selective and careful about how we do it.
Kilauea is an active volcano in Hawaii. Fortunately, the lava flows into the sea, causing very little damage to civilization. Similarly, we must all find ways to express our frustrations without harming others. I have several mature friends who are solid in their faith. I know that I can voice my doubts, despair, and fear without disturbing their faith. I’m deeply grateful for these women who can handle my regular purges of negativity. Without them, I would probably explode with such magnitude that it would cause major damage to everything around me. 

1 comment:

  1. You are certainly not alone with gratitude for friends and people in life who actually listen to your explosions. They listen without interrupting so you can purge them from your system before they cause damage mentally and physically by holding them in and covering them up.

    ReplyDelete