streams

streams

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Adventures with God

“This resurrection life you received from God is not a timid, grave-tending life. It’s adventurously expectant, greeting God with a childlike “What’s next, Papa?” God’s Spirit touches our spirits and confirms who we really are.” (Romans 8:15-16 MSG)

Fear and insecurity prevent me from living fully according to God’s purpose. I sense that God wants to unbind me from my fears. Yet, He needs my cooperation in the matter.

For the last year, I have been trying to do something uncomfortable once a week. I notice that the things that trigger anxiety in me have a few things in common:
-unfamiliar tasks that make me feel incompetent
-appearing overbearing or inconsiderate
-possibility of long-term injury or loss

I have also learned that it is healthy to fear things outside of God’s will. I heed the warning from the book of Proverbs:
“We humans keep brainstorming options and plans, but God’s purpose prevails.”  (Proverbs 19:21 MSG)

These days, I wait for God’s confirmation before I push through feelings of discomfort. As soon I start brainstorming options and plans on my own, I check myself. I ask the Holy Spirit to guide my thoughts, words, and actions. Once I sense that what I am about to do is within God’s will, I proceed. I expectantly look forward to my next adventure with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment