streams

streams

Friday, November 27, 2015

False Masters

“You must not have any other god but me.” (Exodus 20:3 NLT)


I had a conversation with my cousin, Philip, recently. We spoke for a few hours about his personal faith journey. The following is my account of his story:


Somewhere in the last few decades, I had lost my faith in God. I felt like an intellectual person couldn’t really believe in these things. I stopped praying. I went to church sporadically. I also got in the habit of having a drink every night. I rarely got drunk. However, I enjoyed drinking and entertaining guests at my house. Over the years, I collected a pretty impressive array of liquors from around the world. My friends were assured of a good time when they came over.


Then, over the last few months, several events happened that changed my perspective. First, my 14-year-old daughter started praying intensely for me. She would often pray over me while I was asleep. She asked me to pray with her frequently.  I humored her a few times. Then she challenged me to stop drinking for a week. I wanted to show her I was not addicted, so I stopped having my evening drink. I have to confess it was really difficult for me. Over the next few months, I attended a few faith-based conferences. I went to visit my sick mom and spent several weeks with her. I didn’t drink while I was with her. I also spent more time in prayer during those months. I felt convicted to stop drinking alcohol, but I continued to serve alcohol to my guests. Then one day, I felt that God was asking me... ‘Do you love me more than alcohol?’  I felt the urge to completely get rid of all the alcohol in my home, but I was reluctant. Some of those bottles had not even been opened. I had been saving a few of them  for over twelve years, waiting for a special occasion. My total collection was worth about $3500. I thought about giving the alcohol away to my friends. But that would be equivalent to getting the poison out of my house and distributing it to others so, I just kept procrastinating. Finally I couldn’t wait any longer. I lined up all 47 bottles that I had in my house and dumped them all down the kitchen sink.


Many of my friends feel like I have been brainwashed. They don’t think I’m fun to be around anymore. Several feel like I am being judgmental and prudish. I haven’t asked anyone else to quit drinking. I just decided not to drink or to serve alcohol in my home. The alcohol was just one of many obstacles blocking my way. I know God is still working on me. I still have a long way to go.


“And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.” (Philippians 1:6 NLT)





2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this video you posted clearly. Philip may you always remember what other people think about you is none of your business. You listened, you heard, you responded to the only person's opinion that matters. God's and you are God's creation, therefore you are God.

    ReplyDelete