streams

streams

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Seasonal Snares

“Lead us not into temptation.” (Luke 11:4 NIV)

Once again, I’m doing something that I should not be doing. For the fourth time in the last two weeks, I’ve stopped to get myself a pumpkin spice latte. The first one of the season was wonderfully delicious. Each subsequent drink brought diminished satisfaction. Yet, I keep going back. I tell myself: It’s a seasonal treat. I have to get it while I can.  I read that it takes 75 minutes of exercise to burn off the calories of a pumpkin latte. I know I’m going to regret this later! But I continually succumb to the temptation, even though I know better.

Every season comes with its own set of temptations. The things that appeal to us in our teens are often different from the things that ensnare us in our forties. We should just drive by these traps, giving them a wide berth. Instead, we drive through, dally, and indulge in things we know are harmful.

God does not lead us into temptation. We swing by all on our own. However, we can ask God to keep us safe from ourselves. We can ask Him to make us aware of our internal proclivities and to help us be more proactive in steering clear of these seasonal snares.

No comments:

Post a Comment