streams

streams

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

DIY Life

“So don’t you see that we don’t owe this old do-it-yourself life one red cent. There’s nothing in it for us, nothing at all. The best thing to do is give it a decent burial and get on with your new life. God’s Spirit beckons. There are things to do and places to go!” (Romans 8:12-14 MSG)

There is no shortage of internet videos showing us how to do things on our own. I am a fan of DIY (Do It Yourself) projects. Any time I learn to do something useful on my own, without hiring a professional, I feel a great sense of accomplishment. This penchant for independence and self-reliance extends beyond household projects. I also like to live on my own terms. Thus, I’m reluctant to commit to anything that limits my autonomy. I don’t want to be a puppet.  I think I can be good and do good under my own power. I crave the sense of validation that comes from being my own person.

This new life that God is calling me to requires me to bury my old self. But I’d rather hang on to my DIY  life. If only I could let go of my self-limiting behaviors and submit to living on God’s terms instead of  on my own. God’s Spirit beckons. There are things to do and places to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment