streams

streams

Monday, April 11, 2016

Desperate Days

“When I was desperate, I called out, and God got me out of a tight spot.” (Psalm 34:6 MSG)
There are times when I feel like I am trying to get across a rushing river. Even though I am using all my strength to wade through, I keep getting knocked down by the  swift current. It is tempting to give in to despair when we are overwhelmed by helplessness.  Yet, when our desperation reaches a high point, it protrudes above the troubling waters, providing us a way out.
“Desperate days are the stepping-stones in the path of light.” (from Streams in the Desert)
It is exhausting to wade through raging rivers of tribulation. Yet, we continue to strive under our own power as long as we can. Desperate days are God’s opportunities to teach us dependence. These are the days when we can no longer rely on our own physical strength, cognitive ability, financial assets, or social support system. All we have left is God, so we turn to Him. We choose to climb out of the churning waters and onto the stepping stones of trust, hope, and faith. We are still in the river, but not of it. We learn to walk above the chaos. 
In my helplessness, I shall turn to You, O Lord. I cling to You in desperate faith. Show me the path out of darkness and into light.

No comments:

Post a Comment