streams

streams

Monday, April 18, 2016

Homemaker

“A wise woman builds her home.” (Proverbs 14:1 NLT)
I am at the bank. I need to answer all sorts of questions before I can open an account. I don’t mind most of them, but one makes me feel small:
Banker: “Are you self-employed?”
Me: “No, I’m just a homemaker.”
I haven’t had a paying job for over twenty years. Instead, I have chosen to devote myself fully to taking care of my family. My husband has been very supportive. Yet, I always diminish my role...just a homemaker.
What is a homemaker anyway? The things we do may seem insignificant in the eyes of the world. We make meals and wash the dishes. We go to the grocery store and put things away. We wipe the counters and mop the floor. We unclog sinks and toilets. We homeschool. We change diapers and wipe runny noses. We wash loads of clothes. We grow vegetables. We manage household finances and taxes. We fix the vacuum cleaner and the lawn mower. We walk the dog. We talk to bankers and electricians. We raise children. We help our husbands. We pray.
“She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: ‘Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.’” (Proverbs 31:27-29 NIV)

Lord, help me be more confident in my role as a homemaker. May I espouse Your ideals instead of worldly standards.

1 comment:

  1. Like being a Mom, being a homemaker can be a thankless and tiresome job that doesn't come with a paycheque, but instead fulfillment of the heart knowing you have done your best to take care of your family.

    ReplyDelete