streams

streams

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

The Big Lie

“My people have left me to worship the Big Lie. They’ve gotten off track, the old, well-worn trail.” (Jeremiah 18:1 MSG)
I’m training for another half marathon. I don’t like to run with large groups. I could run the 13.1 miles by myself on the familiar trail where I do my daily training. However, I find myself looking up public, half marathon races. I’m particularly attracted to the events with large medals. I want the bling. I believe it will give legitimacy to my accomplishment.
This craving for validation extends to all areas of my life. I am seduced by opportunities to highlight my abilities and hard work. Like most humans, I am inclined to chase after earthly concerns. I behave as if that which is visible, tangible, and temporal matters more than the eternal. I operate under this false illusion. I am tempted to leave the path where I am meant to run. I tend to worship my own desires instead of glorifying God. I have gotten off track. I worship the Big Lie. I realize this is Sin. Yet, I act like an addict who knows she is hooked but can’t kick the habit. I need divine intervention.
Lord, please rescue me from the temptation to chase after validation. May I pay attention to your instructions and guidance. Help me to stay on track and run only down the path that You have chosen.

No comments:

Post a Comment