streams

streams

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Not My Battle

“God will fight the battle for you. And you? You keep your mouths shut!" (Exodus 14:14 MSG)

I’ve been told that I talk too much. I can’t help it.  When I’m anxious, I tend to blabber even more than usual. When I think someone is about to do damage--to themselves or others--I start nagging. When things get difficult, I complain. I rant against the unfairness of it all. I use words like weapons. I battle my fear and anxiety by vocalizing every thought that pops into my head. There must be a part of me that imagines that I can influence the outcome of situations with my words. If only this were true...

None of us can convince another person to make lasting changes, no matter how persuasive we are. We might be able to delay someone from making poor choices, but eventually, they will do what they want. Complaining about our troubles is also unproductive. Venting might bring temporary relief, but it rarely improves our circumstances. Only God can cause real transformation. When things get out of control, stay calm. Keep your mouth shut. Reshape your anxieties and concerns into prayers. Speak silently to God. Let Him fight your battles for you.

“Your God is present among you, a strong Warrior there to save you. Happy to have you back, he'll calm you with his love.” (Zephaniah 3:17 MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment