streams

streams

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Filthy Clothes

“Well then, should we keep on sinning so that God can show us more and more of his wonderful grace? Of course not!” (Romans 6:1 NLT)

When I get back from a long run, I know I should stretch, eat, drink, and rest. But I can’t enjoy anything when I feel yucky--I have to get out of my sticky, stinky clothes and take a shower before anything else. After I am clean, I put on freshly washed, breathable, loose clothing. I would never get back into those dirty clothes I just took off! I know I will get sweaty again the next day--but that doesn’t mean I don’t strive to be clean as much as possible.

Before we committed our lives to Christ, we were all messed up, compromised, impure--even our best efforts were like filthy clothes. But, after we immerse ourselves fully in the Spirit, we are washed clean. We leave behind our old habit of demanding our own way. We are DONE with those soiled rags of sin. We put on fresh clothes of grace. While it is true that we might slip up again and again--depending on ourselves instead of trusting God--we do not give in to living that way permanently. Instead, we strive to be clean. We ask God to wrap us in freedom, healing, and holiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment