streams

streams

Friday, July 20, 2018

No More Mindless Living

As long as you did what you felt like doing, ignoring God, you didn't have to bother with right thinking or right living, or right anything for that matter.” (Romans 6:20 MSG)

Occasionally I use the MyFitnessPal app to keep track of what I eat and how much I exercise. Even when using MFP, I can eat whatever I want; I just have to log it. This prevents me from eating mindlessly. Even though I have this tool to keep myself accountable, I don’t always use it. I go back to being a slave to my appetite--free from the obligation to eat right, doing whatever I want without restrictions.

When we are slaves to sin, we do whatever we feel like doing. We ignore God. We don’t bother with right thinking or right living. Days and years go by without a conscious thought about our mission and purpose. Even after we are given the gift of awareness, the temptation to go back to living mindlessly is strong. When we have lived for so long in an unconscious stupor, sober living feels austere. Yet, we sense that this sort of careless living is meaningless. It leaves us feeling ashamed and wasteful. We have discovered that listening to God is better than following our own desires.  It feels good to be on the right track. Thus, we are drawn back to God, over and over. We can’t unknow what we know--even if we try to suppress it in the depths of our being. We are meant to lead whole, healed, and holy lives. Let’s get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment