streams

streams

Friday, August 4, 2017

Intrinsic Growth

“What do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?” (Matthew 16:26 NLT) 

There was a time when I was mostly sedentary. I sat most of the day, avoiding exertion as much as possible. I could not run even half a mile without feeling like I might faint. I admired those who were active and strong, but I wasn’t sure how I could be like them. Then someone told me about a program called Couch to 5k-- which trains people who spend most of their day sitting on the couch to running 5 kilometers. Their system is simple: you walk a few minutes, then run a few minutes. Each day you spend more time running and less time walking. Eventually, you learn to run continuously until you can finish a 5 km distance. This taught me a great lesson: incremental changes and persistence can get me from where I am to where I want to be. These days, I am training for a marathon--26.2 miles/42 km. The distance is far, but I know that if I spend more time running and less time sitting, I will eventually get there.


There are many, many areas in my life where I am far from where I want to be. I will just give one example here to clarify my point: I would like to be more focused on my intrinsic growth than on extrinsic events in my life. Right now, I spend the majority of each day focused on what is happening around me. I can sense the importance of interior development, but just like the majority of people, I get absorbed in worldly distractions.  The distance feels insurmountable right now, but I know I can make it. I just have to make incremental changes--spending a few extra moments every day focusing on my soul, and a few less on everything else.

2 comments:

  1. As hard as it seems in the beginning to not feel awkward taking time to access your relationship with yourself and our Supreme being, but like taking the Couch to 5K, increments work like baby steps teach us to walk. If you don't try, you stay in the same place with no room for growth.

    ReplyDelete