streams

streams

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Daily Retirement

Every evening, after the dinner dishes are cleared, I retire to the privacy of my bedroom. I try to finish my chores before dinner, so that I can have this time for rest. I withdraw from physical and mental activity. I crave this period of seclusion at the end of each day.

16th-century Spanish theologian, Francisco de Osuna, writes thoughtfully about contemplative prayer. He uses the term recollection (instead of contemplation or meditation)--because the practice involves collecting the scattered parts of your unconscious mind. In order to do so, he suggests that you  “retire into your heart and leave all created things.” (Third Spiritual Alphabet, Francisco de Osuna)

Doesn’t it sound inviting--to take time each day to retire into our souls, temporarily shutting the door to all our concerns, so that we could spend time with God? Stillness allows us to recollect misplaced truths, to recall buried mysteries. It leads us to a deeper consciousness of the indwelling Spirit of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment