streams

streams

Friday, November 7, 2014

Spiritual Fasting

According to Dallas Willard, fasting is equivalent to “Feasting upon God. Being nourished by God.”

If I prepare a well-balanced, nutritious meal for my family, I don’t want any of us to fill up on unhealthy snacks before we sit down for the main meal.
What do I normally fill myself up with, instead of God?
-busyness
-other people
-distractions

Mental fillers, rather than physical junk food, decreases my appetite for soul nourishment.

This leads me to another question. What’s the difference between a filler and a pre-meal appetizer? An appetizer should stimulate your appetite for the real meal to follow, whereas a filler dampens your interest.
What stimulates my hunger for God?
-emptiness
-deep thinkers
-nature

Fasting from fillers keeps me yearning for real nourishment. My soul feels hollow; there is a sharpness to my spiritual hunger pangs. Instead of pacifying myself with junk, I want to wait and feast upon God.

1 comment: