streams

streams

Monday, November 24, 2014

Intercessors

Like most moms, I have a built-in radar for children who look lost. I will be walking through some public place and see a kid who looks alone and lost. I will go up to them and ask: “Do you need help finding your Mom or Dad?” Most of the time the kids nod their heads in assent. Sometimes they look at me suspiciously. Some of the really young ones may have not yet realized that they are lost.  I usually just wait with them. I try to keep them from wandering any further into danger. Since I am taller than most children, I can usually spot the frantic parent before the kid. I wave and smile, and the parent rushes in with relief.

Actually, I am drawn to people of all ages who are lost.  I have personally experienced the pain of separation from our Father. This has instilled an empathy for others in the same situation. I feel compelled to wait with them, to protect them from straying any further, and to pray for them. Intercessory prayer is similar. In a way, it’s like waving at the Father as He frantically rushes toward His lost child.

“An intercessor means one who is in such vital contact with God and with his fellow men that he is like a live wire closing the gap between the saving power of God and the sinful men who have been cut off from that power. An intercessor is the contacting link between the source of power (the life of the Lord Jesus Christ) and the objects needing that power and life.” (God’s Transmitters, Hannah Hurnard)

Sin is defined as anything that separates us from God. We all have attitudes and behaviors that cause us to wander away from our Father at some time or another. No one is immune from this, but our unworthiness need not keep us from being intercessors. In fact, our experience of pain and separation helps us recognize others who are lost. It cultivates empathy, alertness, and patience. It allows us to be the link that connects those in need with God’s power and grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment