streams

streams

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Listening to Voices

“Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don’t try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he’s the one who will keep you on track.” (Proverbs 3:5-6 MSG)

When I am running outside in my neighborhood, I wear sunglasses and headphones. When I see someone I know, I take off my sunglasses and ear buds, even if it is just to exchange pleasantries.  I can see them just fine through my sunglasses. I can hear them if I turn my music off; I don’t have to take off my headphones completely. But I find it easier to connect with someone when they can see my eyes, and when they can tell that I am listening to them.  I think it is disrespectful to wear headphones while someone may be trying to communicate with you.  It’s a sign that you don’t want to engage or listen to those around you. When someone is wearing headphones, the message I receive is: Don’t bother speaking; I’m paying attention to something else.

When we pay attention to our own understanding, when we try to figure out everything on our own--we are essentially saying: God, don’t bother speaking; I’m paying attention to some other voices. Sometimes these voices are merely distracting; other times they are skewed messages that misdirect us. Listening to God’s voice requires us to shut off the other noises. It involves constant attentiveness and engagement. God’s Voice always speaks Truth. His intentions are good and pure.  He always directs us toward the right path.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant and how true! Like you, I remove my earphones as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-). I wish we ran along the same path.

      Delete