streams

streams

Monday, December 4, 2017

Daily Prayer

“Seven times each day I stop and shout praises for the way you keep everything running right.” (Psalm 119:164 MSG)

The concept of praying throughout the day has been a part of many religious traditions from Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. For centuries, Catholics and Episcopalians have used the Divine Office (or Liturgy of the Hours)--a rhythm of praying seven times a day. They used psalms, hymns, scripture, and set prayers at different times each day: Matins (middle of the night), Prime (first thing in the morning), Terce (before we start our work), Sext (noon), Nones (mid-afternoon), Vespers (sunset), and Compline (before bed). The early church recognized the importance of pausing every few hours to remember God. Unfortunately, the Divine office is only practiced by clergy these days.

During this Advent season, a friend and I are trying something new. We are reminding each other to pause and recognize God throughout the day. We each have our ways of doing so, but here is a window into my own version of the Divine Office: I get hungry or thirsty every few hours. I use these triggers to turn to God. I read a few verses of scripture, listen to a song, sing along if I’m alone, pray for those who come to mind, write down any spiritual nudges, or praise and thank God. This doesn’t take as long as my morning quiet times. It’s just a brief pause in the middle of my busyness--a moment to get close to Jesus, give Him a hug, express my love, and enjoy His presence.  

No comments:

Post a Comment