streams

streams

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Why Praise God?

“They raised their voices and praised the LORD with these words: ‘He is good! His faithful love endures forever!’ At that moment a thick cloud filled the Temple of the LORD. The priests could not continue their service because of the cloud, for the glorious presence of the LORD filled the Temple of God.” (2 Chronicles 5:13-14 NLT)

When someone flatters me, I immediately suspect they want something from me. Why else would they butter me up? However, I compliment others regularly without any ulterior motive. I notice something good; I say it out loud. That’s it. So...why the double standard? These distorted thoughts have seeped into my relationship with God. I don’t spend much time praising God, because it feels like I am trying to cajole Him with flattery. It’s time to work out this tangled misbelief! 

Why Praise God?

First of all, God is worthy of Praise. When I notice His goodness, I should recognize it and affirm it. Praising God allows me to focus on God instead of obsessing over my problems. It reminds me of God’s power and my powerlessness. Praise increases my faith and dependence. It empowers me with courage and strength to wait for God’s timing.  It reduces my agitation and brings peace. 

Praising God shifts my perspective and the environment. My misgivings and unbelief dissipate, clearing space. God takes over the situation. His Spirit moves in like a rain cloud in the midst of a drought, pouring out His power and grace. This is exactly what I need. 

Lord, I praise You. You are pure goodness. You are powerful. You are awesome.  You love me and take care of me.  I trust in Your promises. Thank you for taking away my fears. 


No comments:

Post a Comment