streams

streams

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Blooming in the Desert

“The desert will bloom with flowers...” (Isaiah 35:2 NIRV)

I recently visited a friend who lives in a semi-arid climate. The landscape has very little natural vegetation. Yet, around her home, she has planted several flowering plants. Under her care, these flowers bloom despite the harsh conditions. My friend nurtures the people around her community too. She pays attention to those who often go unseen. She teaches those who are eager to learn. She reaches out to the vulnerable and the lonely. She is thriving in the desert. And God is using her to water others as well.

I came away from that visit with many questions: How can I flourish even when my circumstances are not favorable? Do I wait for my circumstances to change? What can I learn from my friend?

--Trust God. Learn to lean on God and not look to anything else as your source of security.

--Be thankful. No matter what your circumstances, thankfulness will lift your spirit.

--Be other-focused. There are people you can help and those that are beyond your influence. Find someone you can lift up.

--Listen for God’s instructions. Do not take a step without God’s guidance.

--Give God all the glory. You may be able to survive in a desert by your wits, but only God’s grace can enable you to thrive. Remind yourself and others of this truth.

“I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength to do his work. He considered me trustworthy and appointed me to serve him.” (1 Timothy 1:12 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment