streams

streams

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Self Effort

“Do not let your adorning be external...” (I Peter 3:3 ESV)

I try to wear makeup when I’m going out. It makes me feel polished and self-assured. I have my routine down pat; it takes about five minutes for me to apply foundation, eyeliner, and lipstick. However, I find myself wearing makeup less often these days. Even though cosmetics make me feel better about myself, I realize that the confidence they provide is, well...cosmetic.

Most of what we present to the world, most of what others see and approve is superficial. We spend our time and energy on adornments, accomplishments, and acquisitions. We apply ourselves to constructing an exterior that garners approval and acceptance. All of this brings about a tenuous sense of self-esteem that vanishes as soon as the external facade is taken down. If my confidence is based on my makeup, clothes, accessories, education, job, wealth, relationships, car, home, abilities, etc., then it’s just a matter of time before it crumbles. All of these things are temporary. Conditional worthiness is not worth much. Thus, self-effort does not lead to genuine significance. It cannot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment