streams

streams

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

A Worthy Life

“Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?” (Matthew  6:26 ESV)

What makes you feel worthy? Is it your accomplishments, acquisitions, influence, relationships, or uniqueness? In a society that emphasizes productivity, usefulness is often conflated with value. A life that doesn’t show progressive success can seem meaningless.

Dogs can be trained to guard homes, detect bombs, assist those with disabilities, pull sleds, and herd livestock. My dog does none of these. She likes to hang around people and eat. I feed, brush, and clean up after her. She is completely dependent on me. She is the least productive member of the family; yet, her value to me is immeasurable.

Even pets that do no work are highly valued by their human caretakers. Do we think that God loves us any less? If God loves and cares for the birds, who neither reap nor sow nor gather, why do we think He wouldn’t do the same for us? Our worth is not based on our usefulness but solely on God’s love for us.

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog every morning. Through Lent I’m reading writings from the early church fathers. I love how God can use a letter written 2000 years ago by a martyr and a blog written by my friend to inspire me this morning. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete