streams

streams

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

No Wasted Steps

“My only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me--the task of testifying to the good news of God's grace.” (Acts 20:24 NIV)


When I am running a marathon, I try not to take unnecessary steps in the wrong direction. This might seem like an obvious choice, but you would be surprised at how many new runners mindlessly waste energy. I have seen some going back to water stops after they have passed them, going back for things they have dropped, running off the course for pictures, etc. However, the most common misstep is failure to run the tangents. In geometry, a tangent is a straight line that touches a point on a curve. According to some estimates, running the outer part of curves rather than the inner part can add up to an extra half mile during a marathon, depending on the course. This is inefficient and counterproductive.


Life is a lot like a marathon. Most people waste a lot of time and energy, because they are unsure of their goal and purpose. They wander back and forth, pursuing distractions, pausing unnecessarily, and running on the outer edges of goodness. This failure--to consider every step, to ensure that they are facing the right direction, and to take the shortest distance to their goal--is a waste of time and energy.


Lord, teach me how to live with purpose. Show me the steps in the right direction. Remind me of the task that You have given me: to reveal Your generous grace. May everything I do and say today be toward that aim. Help me to finish strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment